Saturday, June 6, 2015

Motivation behind this blog


Both SQL and R are meant for different purposes. R is arguably the richest statistical tool whereas SQL is a robust programming language for managing relational databases. However, there is an overlap between then two when it comes to manipulating the data.  R needs to manipulate data while reading, cleansing, and structuring it before feeding it to R's powerful libraries. SQL, on the other hand, needs to manipulate data for living.

When I started with R, I used to think in SQL and then try to perform the same operation in R. It used to be very time consuming and I wished there was a tutorial or guide that would tell me how to do SQL kind of things in R. Therefore I started this blog to help people like me who come from SQL background into the world of R. I will try to give cookbook kind of solutions in R for common SQL operations.

Keep your inputs coming.

Cheers!

My favorite SQL Joke:
A SQL walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks upto them and says, "Can I join you?"

My SQL Poem:
SELECT Friends
FROM World
WHERE Hatred is NOT NULL
GROUP BY Friends
HAVING  SUM(Fun) > 0
-- ORDER BY ... (Friends are friends, they should not be ordered by an attribute).

No comments:

Post a Comment